Monday, May 28, 2012

Finally got the neck cut out! It has been quite an experience. I started with a block of cherry (3.5"x3.5"x36"), and found out the hard way that a jigsaw isn't the best tool for cutting 90 degree angles! So, sadly, the block of cherry was pretty mangled. After some time I picked up a piece of curly maple (2.5"x2.5"x30"). The smaller size meant that I would have to cut less material, which leaves less room for error (well, I guess you could look at it both ways!). Anyways, I had the idea that I could somehow use a coping saw to do all of the cutting, and quickly found out that it would be possible to do so, but that it would take an enormous amount of time. After some searching, I found a bandsaw to use and it's a damn dream come true. Sheesh. So, with the right tools and a lot of help from my dad (thanks dad!) this thing is starting to look like a banjo. Next is smoothing the neck up a bit and then sealing both the neck and the pot. Not too long now!

1 comment: