Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A lot of progress on the mountain banjo. I ran into some issues with the first pot I had made, which was pecan. Long story short, I had to make a new pot, this time out of birch plywood, and though the pecan looked more interesting, the birch plywood is much better to work with and I'm really happy with it. I decided to add a frailing scoop, which I'm pretty excited about. I went ahead and made my own nut out of scrap maple from the neck. For the metal ring inside of the pot I cut down a giant can of tomato sauce. Last night we installed the calfskin head, which was a pretty interesting process! Currently the head is drying, I should be able to take the clamps off tonight around 10 or so, and then I'm pretty sure there's no way I'll be able to resist putting the tailpiece on and stringing it up! Gina helped SO much, and took some awesome pictures too!

No comments:

Post a Comment